As a Data Engineer you exploit the daily reach of millions of readers and viewers on our online platforms as a competitive advantage by closely collaborating with analysts and data scientists across all departments throughout the entire organization. You built cloud-based data pipelines, both batch and streaming, and its underlying infrastructure.
As a Data Engineer you ensure the reliability and stability of our Group Data Platform and its data pipelines: you implement required monitoring, you understand how to balance the costs of running cloud process with benefits of reliable speed of delivery and you want to continually improve production systems. In short: you live up to our principle ‘You Built It, You Run It’.
How will you make a difference?
- One day you built an ETL to feed our reporting system, the next one you’re building a real-time customer profile by aggregating his online behaviour and allowing the usage of this profile to recommend other articles on our online platforms.
- Co-develop and co-operate the cloud-based data pipelines and platform from inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement
- Closely collaborate with data scientists and analysts in our daily work, colocation days, data engineering guild and communities of practice.
- You are a protagonist in harmonizing our data landscape across countries, over departments and through acquisitions.
Your must-have knowledge and experience
- Experience implementing highly available and scalable big data platforms
- In depth knowledge of at least one cloud provider, preferably AWS
- Experience developing in at least one of the following languages in the context of data engineering: Scala, Python, Go, Java, Shell scripting
- Understanding of modern software engineering best practices like design patterns, microservices and chaos-engineering
- DevOps experience (set-up of CI/CD pipelines, set-up of systems ...)
- You see the value in a team and enjoy working together with others, also with techniques like pair-programming
- You either have an AWS certification or are willing to achieve AWS certification within 6 months (minimum AWS Certified Associate)
Nice to have knowledge
- Experience building highly automated infrastructures
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Define and deploy monitoring, metrics, and logging systems, and automated security controls
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills