As a Data Architect - or what we call town planner of the data area - you are responsible to keep the architectural overview of what gets built by the teams in the data area and how they interface with other IT components like our media platforms.
As an area we exploit the daily reach of millions of readers and viewers on our online platforms as a competitive advantage by closely collaborating with analysts and data scientists across all departments throughout the entire organization. We built cloud-based data pipelines, both batch and streaming, and its underlying infrastructure.
You are a frontrunner in the field of Quality & Assurance, you guard the principle ‘You Built It, You Run It’, and together with other town planners you make sure that all services get assigned to a logical owner within IT.
How will you make a difference?
- One day you guide the teams in their architectural decisions, the next one you’re involved in refinements of our roadmap and even later you are meeting your fellow architects about the roadmap of the entire IT department.
- We believe in co-development across teams. We do this by gathering all teams on a bi-weekly colocation day where we address topics hackathon-style. As the areas architect, you are responsible to bring and prepare technical topics for the agenda of the colocation day.
- You are a protagonist in harmonizing our data landscape across countries, over departments and through acquisitions.
- You are a key-driver behind the data engineering guild and the community of practice.
- Building bridges with other teams in the organization comes naturally to you, you are a self-starter able to sell a vision and influence others (including senior management)
- You represent the technical concerns of the area in an assertive, diplomatic and collaborative matter
Your key strengths
Your must-have knowledge and experience:
- Experience in designing, analyzing and implementing highly available and scalable big data platforms
- In depth knowledge of at least one cloud provider, preferably AWS
- Experience developing in at least one of the following languages in the context of data engineering: Scala, Python, Go, Java, Shell scripting
- Understanding of modern software engineering best practices like design patterns, microservices and chaos-engineering
- You see the value in a team and enjoy working together with others.
- You have an agile mindset and live up to the principle of “value-first”.
- You either have an AWS certification or are willing to achieve AWS certification within 6 months (minimum AWS Certified Associate)
Nice to have knowledge
- Experience building highly automated infrastructures
- Define monitoring, metrics, and logging systems, and automated security controls
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills
You will be working at a leading media company bustling with fun colleagues.
Like you, they are passionate about digital and offline media and are continuously learning new things from each other and from the best in the trade. You are set out on a journey where every next week will be different from the last, and where you are stimulated on a daily basis to take things to the next level. As a cherry on top, we offer you an interesting salary package and corresponding benefits (company car, group and health insurance, 32 days of paid leave, a renowned company restaurant, …)